If you are the type of person who likes the feel of thumbing though papers and filing away work, you’ll appreciate a well-organized filing system.
If you are up-to-speed on digital record-keeping and own a scanner, then digital file organization is the way to go.
Whichever you choose, keep these tips in mind:
- Keep a handle on paperwork by taking action as soon as it arrives
- Look over all documents/statements to make sure they are correct.
- Shred anything you have online access to, or file away those items that you want to keep on hand.
- Create a filing system (see tomorrow’s blog for details) using color-coded hanging folders.
- Maintain your filing system by purging irrelevant documents at least once a year (BEFORE tax season is a good time).