Your family control or command center is the area where you track all your family happenings and post your weekly plan for your household. This is a priceless tool for organizing yourself, your meals, your finances and the general running of your household – this is a physical dashboard to driving your life! If you don’t yet have a control center, today is the day you will implement one.
Today’s Goal: A functional household command center where you can organize a month’s worth of cleaning, household tasks, meals and important events and social obligations.
How to Create Your Control Center:
- Take a “before” photo.
- Clean your control center area. Wipe down shelves, cupboards, and drawers. Sweep, vacuum, and clean glass surfaces.
- Toss, donate or recycle unwanted items.
- Gather the essentials to create your control center – such as magnetic clips, a whiteboard, chalkboard or bulletin board, plus a calendar, and chalk or dry-erase markers.
- Hang your control center items in a central location within your home, so it is easy to reference on a daily basis.
- Assign a color to each family member.
- Plan your meals on the calendar. Make a list of missing ingredients.
- Create a cleaning schedule. Plan a “speed cleaning session” for each day, or assign each room, or area of your house to do a different day, and add that to your calendar.
- Fill in the color-coded family member’s activities, appointments, events, etc. Store the dry-erase markers or chalk for updates.
- Create a CONTACT sheet. List your WiFi log-in, important phone numbers and notes, and post them on the board for visitors or babysitters.
- Take an “after” photo and share in your social media stories tagging Organizedbyburley, so that I can see your posts.