Not everyone is lucky enough to have a guest room, but nearly everyone is lucky enough to have guests! Whether it’s providing a couch for a friend in need or a room for a relative who’s coming to town, there are a few things that can be done to ensure your guest has a warm, safe, inviting space to make them feel right at home.
A basic guest room provides the following:
- A comfortable, clean place to sleep with extra blankets/bedding
- An accessible outlet for a phone charger (and your Wi-Fi password)
- A nightstand with a light and somewhere to hold a glass of water
- Welcoming, clean decor and space to put a suitcase or bag
- Freedom from allergen-triggers (cats and dogs should sleep elsewhere), loud noises and bright lights
- Access to a bathroom with a towel and basic amenities
An OUTSTANDING guest room provides:
- A snack, fruit or nosh for the mid-night-snacker
- An extra toothbrush, hand lotion, face wipes and reading materials (placed on the nightstand)
- Privacy and solace
- Fresh flowers, plants, candles and other welcoming touches
Your Checklist to Create Your Guest Room:
- Take a “before” photo.
- Asses your guest “space” or room and its current use. Remove all items that cannot be attractively stored in an organized manner.
- Toss, donate or recycle unwanted items.
- Thoroughly clean all surfaces, insides of drawers and cupboards, shelves and tops of dresser. Fully wipe down your desk chair, shelves, windowsills, and any other areas that may be collecting dust or grime. Sweep, vacuum, and clean glass surfaces.
- Create functional storage areas in drawers, cabinets, and closet. Label any storage containers.
- Take an “after” photo and share it in your stories tagging me so that I can see your amazing results! 😊